Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Ain't Nothing like the Real Thing!

I'm making my Maw Maw Rose's spaghetti today. I get called for this recipe a lot by siblings, cousins who have lost the recipe somewhere in the house, and friends who love it.

I love making it, the smell reminds me of family dinners at my grandmother's house, when my Mom and Aunts would have to holler for us 10 times to stop playing with our cousins and come eat. As we grew up, we didn't have to be called - we just gathered around and visited with each other while smelling the sweet aroma. I'm not sure which of those are my favorite memories. But I know that I'll cherish both with all my heart and I hope my family is as close as my Grandmother kept hers.

Maw Maw Rose's Italian Spaghetti

SAUCE:
1 12oz can tomato paste
1 14.5oz can tomatoes
1 clove garlic
1 1/2 tomato paste cans water (18oz)
1/4 t oregano
1/2 t basil
1/4 C sugar
1 small pork roast or ribs

Brown pork in heavy pot. Add tomato paste and fry a little. Add tomatoes and rest of ingredients.

MEATBALLS:
1 lb ground meat (beef, pork, turkey....)
1 small onion finely chopped
bread crumbs soaked in a little milk
salt and pepper to taste
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.

Combine ingredients in a large bowl with hands. Smoosh it REAL good! You'll have to eyeball the ingredients - I just know how from watching Maw Maw. But you make it the same way you make a meat loaf.

Make as many balls in whatever size you desire.

Put the balls on the lined pan and brown them in the oven. I estimate the time from 15-20 minutes, but you'll just need to stay close by and watch them. Browning them helps them not fall to pieces while cooking fully in the sauce.

After they are good and brown, get them out and drop the meatballs in the sauce gently. Cook on lowest setting for 4 or 5 hours siring gently occasionally.

Serves 7 people per 1lb of spaghetti noodles.



A few Carrie alterations:

In the Spring and Summer, I enjoy adding fresh chopped basil from my garden directly before serving.

Never use pre made parmesan cheese in this, buy the fresh block in the specialty cheese section and grate it yourself. Do this, because you love yourself.

I always double the recipe and freeze whatever sauce is left over for a quick lunch or dinner.

Serve with a nice salad and home made dressing and a big crusty loaf of bread.

I once made this with tomatoes fresh from my own garden. It was an all day event. It was a ton of work. I sweat, I cried, I laughed... but it was the best spaghetti sauce I've ever made. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment