Sunday, March 13, 2011

Planting Day!

Today was my first day to plant - it was difficult considering I was exhausted from having my my my my my boogie shoes on all night last night. Courtesy of two of my favorite gay guys Keith and Brian. It was a lovely night, where the beer flowed like wine, where old friends were cherished, where I got really slogged. Don't worry, Damon got more slogged than me because he wasn't drinking water in between drinks. No hangover for me, but Damon has been throwing up all day. Which is as it should be since Damon 'effing' McDaniels came out to play. I always say a little prayer that God makes him throw up all day when his alter ego comes out. One day I'll blog about Damon's warlock persona. Charlie Sheen has nothing on Damon 'effing' McDaniels. But that's another day.

I was too tired to take pictures today, so I'm blogging first while it's fresh in my mind and adding pictures later.

First I got my gloves and spade and mixed my castings with my potting soil. I used my mop bucket so I could get the mixture right. I did 1/3 castings and 2/3 potting soil.

Next, I set my plants where I wanted them. I'm making 'rows' as I go this year since I'm not completely certain how I want to do the set up this year. I want to grow a lot more things this time around and I'm trying to find the best way to utilize my space.

My cousin/brother in law Michael gave me some organic chicken manure pellets to try in my planting this year. It's his first year to try it as well so I'm doing as he is doing and only using it on half the vegetables I'm plating.

My first row is a single row that I did not use today.

My second row is a double row that I am using for my tomatoes. I used the chicken pellets on the tomato plants on the left side. Starting from the fence the first two plants are 'Gulf States' tomatoes. They are a local breed that my dad told me my grandfather used to love, so we are trying them. Second are 'Better Bush' and Third are 'Big Bush'. I staggered them, so I have room for one more bush breed tomato plant.

I put my 'Burpless Cucumbers' in the ground as well today. I put them in a new place this year. They are going to be found on the far right back corner of the garden. I feel I can utilize this sandy part of the plot for the cucumbers.

Since they are still babies I have them caged and wrapped in plastic. This is to protect them from the wind until better cages can be built. When they are bigger and stronger and the weather is a little more consistent I will remove the plastic, but not the cages.

Tonight since I'm a bit restless, I also used the nursery cups the tomato and cucumber plants came in and started my pumpkin seeds. I'm trying out the 'Big Max' breed. I don't have a lot of room for mounds in the yard, but I would like to try to make 5 or 6 prize pumpkins.

In addition I have my green beans, the "Tendergreen Improved (Bush)' breed, soaking in water over night as recommended. Stella and I will be planting those, as well as some basil into the garden tomorrow. I'm experimenting with planting some basil in with my bush tomatoes this year. I don't know how well it will do - but can't you just imagine the smell. It makes me smile just thinking of it! :)

Tomorrow will be a busy day as well. I have to start preparing the soil in my butterfly garden area. I'm still trying to track down some milk weed, if anyone knows where I can find some that information will be appreciated.

Keep watching for added pictures tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I know u gave up facebook for lent and I remembered u had a blog so I searched for ya! This is Aimee Ruggles, James's mom. Did you know that tomorrow is when we can start requesting for 1st grade teachers? Also I heard for a 1st pick for teacher was Mary McBee and 2nd pick was Lisa Stewart. Did you hear anybody different? Just wanting to know. Thanks Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I forgot my email is aimeeruggles@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete