Thursday, March 3, 2011

The 'Other' Compost


So I just had someone ask me about outdoor composting.


Not really, no one asked... I just like to feel significant.


Here's the outdoor compost for leaves, the left over oat straw that didn't decompose over the Fall and Winter season and probably any snakes that need a cool place to hid - so this area will be off limits to the girls. Though telling the girls something is off limits - I may as well tie some candy to it while I'm at it.

But here it is - that lattice won't stay there, it's just weighing it down since I just put the straw out and it's flying off. But the lattice is for my cucumbers.

Oh and why the garbage bags out there? Well, I'm doing a scientific experiment on whether the oat straw decomposes quicker in a hot, black garbage bag instead of out in the elements.

Not really.

I just didn't want that much straw touching my expensive privacy fence, so I packed some of the straw into those bags to keep it from decomposing the wood.

But the other reason sounds way cooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment